West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum is hiring an Equity Program Manager to provide strategic support and tactical leadership for the Forum’s Equity Program, which provides a mechanism for businesses and institutions to work alongside under-resourced populations and communities of color to address historical disparate impacts affecting members of these communities due to public policy or market-based actions. The Equity Program Manager will work to engage businesses and sustainability leaders in an an active process to identify and eliminate racism, while working to decrease barriers to participation in sustainability and sustainable business for diverse groups.
The ideal candidate will be excited by the potential of working on something different each day, passionate about social equity and environmental sustainability, and eager to support a diverse network of business and institutional leaders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Provide institutional and industry leadership for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in sustainability and sustainable business. Identify and support JEDI/anti-racism champions.
● Work with a diverse community of businesses, institutions, industry partners and community stakeholders to promote a mutually beneficial flow of knowledge, expertise and resources.
● Conduct outreach to business and institutional leaders and community stakeholders, working to co-create projects and programs that support the strategic goals of the organization to eliminate carbon emissions, advance a circular economy, and dismantle white supremacy.
● Build and maintain relationships with member representatives and other stakeholders from diverse industries and communities. Implement and facilitate various working groups and programs.
● Plan and implement training, presentations, meetings, and other events using presentation and facilitation best practices. Design and implement program evaluations as appropriate.
● Monitor grant and program progress by tracking data and generating reports.
● Align program activities and work priorities with strategic goals and grant outcomes.
● Provide capacity support and business representation to industry and community coalitions, especially JEDI and climate justice initiatives. Participate in community and industry events.
● Support organizational communications, fundraising and membership development.
● Develop expertise and be recognized as a resource in common sustainability issues.
● Minimum two years experience in a relevant role.
● Excellent communication and writing skills.
● Excellent cultural and emotional intelligence.
● Proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
● Current knowledge of or ability to quickly learn intermediate to advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in:
○ Common sustainability programs, especially recycling and climate leadership (intermediate)
○ Promotion of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within a professional or community setting, especially concerning under-resourced communities and environmental justice (advanced).
○ Authentic engagement and co-creation with community partners (advanced).
○ And corresponding regional issues and institutions.
● Ability to:
○ Perform outreach to business and community stakeholders through all available means.
○ Manage project tasks independently, maintain a timeline of deliverables, and host committee-like functions.
○ Conduct surveys, interviews and secondary research on key issues.
○ Travel throughout West Michigan (25%) and Michigan (5%) for meetings and events. Most duties will be performed remotely (70%).
○ Work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, class, age, gender, and sexual orientation backgrounds.
○ Ability to work occasional nights and occasional weekend engagements.
● Experience working collaboratively with staff, team members, and partners.
● Comfort working in a small organization.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google office products.
Compensation and Details This is a full-time position. The target starting salary for this position is $60,000. Benefits include 100% coverage of health insurance for employees and partial coverage for eligible family members; HSA stipend, 100% coverage of dental and vision for employees and eligible family members; IRA with a 3% employer match; technology stipend, and a generous PTO package that includes two weeks of vacation, holidays and time off for the last two weeks of the calendar year. We offer support for remote work, professional development, and a driven, highly collaborative, supportive work environment, with opportunity for rapid advancement of authority, responsibilities and industry prominence.
Title: Equity Program Manager Schedule: Full-time
Office Schedule: 9 am - 5 pm Flexible Reports to: Executive Director
Pay Scale: $54,000 to $60,000
Directions to Apply Applicants should apply online at wmsbf.org/employment with a cover letter and resume. Applicants should be prepared to provide a writing sample and references. Candidates encouraged to apply by July 15. Early applicants will be contacted for interviews beginning the week of June 27. Position will remain open until filled. West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, culture, ethnicity religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.