March 22, 2021
We strongly denounce the increase in violence, racism, and hate that has transpired against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) all around the country in recent weeks and throughout the past year during the COVID-19 global pandemic. We grieve the devastating loss of innocent lives and those who have been targeted by hate crimes. We know this is not an isolated incident and that Anti-Asian hate has been part of the much longer history of systemic racism in the United States.
We are not only saddened by the realities presented by systemic racism; we are called to action. At YNPN.GR, our mission is to empower emerging professionals to thrive, grow, and build community within the nonprofit sector. Living out this mission means we are committed to long term change within our society around the issues of racism, social injustice, and inequity. In addition, we are committed to using our collective voice, resources, and influence to create equitable change in our community.
We recognize the path towards systemic change and an equitable future is long and complex.
Please join us in taking these first steps toward correcting the wrongs our society and sector has allowed for decades:
- Show your support by intentionally seeking out and using your economic power to support AAPI businesses and organizations
- Familiarize yourself and your organization with anti-racism resources
- Mobilize the Philanthropic Sector towards meaningful action
- Read the full statement from the Grand Rapids Asian-Pacific Foundation on The Uprising of Hate Crimes Against the AAPI Community and engage in their action steps
- Report an incident: stopaapihate.org/
- Donate to their GoFundMe: gofundme.com/f/stopasianhate-gr-asianpacific-foundation
- Educate yourself about the AAPI experience: stopasianhate.info/